- 5 to 6 cups cherries washed and pitted (I used a mixture of tart, no sugar added, canned cherries and frozen, no sugar added, and I also doubled this recipe for a larger crowd)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 unbeaten egg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix cherries with ¼ cup sugar (reserving 1 cup)
- Pour cherries into a greased 8×8 inch pan (if you use canned and/or frozen, be sure to strain the juice so it’s not too watery)
- Combine flour, remaining 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and unbeaten egg; mix until blended and crumbly.
- Sprinkle mixture over cherries. Pour melted butter over the top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
This is a great recipe because it calls for few ingredients and most your probably already have!
Serve this with some vanilla bean ice cream or a dollup of creamy whipped topping!