If you really like to decorate for the holidays, but you don’t want to break the bank on your decorations because they are only out for a short time, then this is the craft for you!
It’s so easy and it’s so inexpensive, AND something you can even do with your kids (with adult supervision) !
Here’s what you’ll need
A hanging sign from the Dollar Tree (whatever size and shape you like, but rectangular is probably best)
Three wooden stars (or you could make your own from cardboard) I purchased mine from the seasonal section at Hobby Lobby
Various pieces of ribbon in red, white and burlap colors (you could also add a blue colored ribbon as well) I do think the burlap adds to the more rustic feel that I was going for
White paint (any kind of acrylic or chalk paint)
- I first took the rope hanger off the sign. Then I painted the blank side of the sign with the white paint. Depending on the type of paint you use, you may need to double coat it.
- I then painted the three stars with the white paint.
- The next step is to cut strips of ribbon of various sizes, colors and designs.
- Once the paint is dry on the wooden pieces, use a piece of sanding paper and sand the paint off around the edges and a little on the surface, just for that aged look.
- Then you’ll want to get your handy glue gun out and you’ll want to glue the white stars to the painted sign.
- With that same handy glue gun, glue the strips of ribbon to the back of the sign. (I would suggest placing the ribbon on the back before gluing to get a good idea of how much spacing in between the strips of ribbon you like (I overlapped mine)
- I then glued some thinner ribbon across the top for a little pop of color. Then just tie your rope hanger back on and voila, you have a fun hand-made patriotic sign to hang either indoors or out on your front porch! And the best part is that it will only cost you a couple of dollars!