My husband and I love a good dessert but once our kids moved out on their own, I rarely made them anymore. We quickly had to adjust what and how much we prepared for our meals. We now only prepare foods that we both enjoy and we don’t need to make nearly as much food as we have in the past when the kids were living at home.
Desserts have been one of my biggest challenges because, let’s face it, if I prepare an entire cake or pie, the two of us will EAT the entire cake or pie. And that’s not good! (or that’s what my Dr. tells me) So…. When I find dessert recipes for just 2, I am always excited to try them out!
Every summer when we find fresh, sweet blueberries on sale, we always buy extra and freeze some to eat later in the fall and winter months. When you combine my love of blueberries with a dessert recipe for 2, I am all about that!
Here is a quick recipe for yummy blueberry cake:
Blueberry Cake for Two
• 1/4 cup all purpose flour
• 1/4 cup white sugar
• 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
• a pinch of salt
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
• 1 cup blueberries, divided fresh or frozen, if frozen do not thaw the berries
• 1/4 Teaspoon lemon juice
• a sprinkling of raw sugar on the top
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Grease 2 ten ounce ramekins or gratin dishes with shortening.
3. Combine the flour,sugar,baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Stir in the lemon juice, milk and butter just until incorporated.
4. Place half the blueberries into the greased baking dishes. Divide the batter between the two dishes and top with the remaining blueberries. Sprinkle with raw sugar for a slight crunch if desired.5. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.