TODAY IS NATIONAL CLEAN YOUR ROOM DAY!
A messy bedroom can lead to anxiety and stress and who needs that? Not me !! Here are a few simple tasks that can help you turn your bedroom into a calm and relaxing atmosphere:
- Clean Up & Take Out Trash: Clear out the trash in the room and then empty your trash can right then. (Tip-put a spare trash can bag in the bottom of your trash can so it’s quick and easy next time.)
- Pick Up Dirty Clothes: If you can, try to fit your hamper in your closet and make it an open bin so it’s easier to toss those clothes in!
- Put Away Clean Clothes: Even if your clean clothes are still in the laundry area, this is the time to put away your clean laundry. (Tip-hang all of your clothing facing the same direction so it’s easier to pick your outfits in the morning.
- Strip Your Bed: Take the time to remove the sheets, pillowcases and bedspread. Wash your sheets regularly. You don’t need to wash your bedspread every time you wash sheets, but occasionally is good. Try to wash your bedspread and mattress pad at the same time. (Tip-keep your sheets and bedspread off your bed for awhile to air out everything. You can also use this opportunity to lightly spray your mattress with a nice smelling linen spray. Lavender scents have a calming effect.)
- Clear Your Surface Clutter: Now that your larger tasks are all done, we can focus on the details. Put away all of those smaller objects that accumulate on your nightstands, dresser, desk, etc. (Tip-create an organization system for your frequently used items. Use a small tray or a decorative container to corral your reading glasses, lotions, etc.)
- Wipe Surfaces Clean: Once your room is free of clutter, you can wipe down all surfaces in the room. Choose the correct cleaner for each purpose, such as dusting spray, glass cleaner, etc. Wipe down the tops of tables and don’t forget to clean the chair legs, fronts of dressers, and any other places that can collect dust. (Tip-keep your bedroom cleaning supplies and products in a caddy so everything you need is in the same place and easy to find the next time.)
- Dust Curtains & Light Fixtures: Use a feather duster or your vacuum hose turned to the low setting to clean these areas. The more often you clean, the less allergens are in the air.
- Clean Windows and Mirrors: With a streak free product, wipe down your windows and mirrors. Remember to clean areas where fingertips might have left a print.
- Vacuum or Sweep: If you have hard surfaced floors with area rugs, remove and vacuum the rugs, and then vacuum or sweep the entire hard floor areas before returning the area rugs. Save mopping for a later time when you do your seasonal deep cleaning. For fully carpeted areas, be sure your vacuum is set to the correct settings for carpet and remember to reach as far under the bed and heavier furniture as you can.
- Remake the Bed: Make your bed with a spare set of sheets. There is nothing better than slipping into a freshly made bed!
HERE IS A HANDY CHECKLIST TO PRINT OUT FOR NEXT TIME!
- TAKE OUT TRASH
- CLEAN UP DIRTY CLOTHES
- STRIP YOUR BED AND WASH THE SHEETS
- CLEAR SURFACE CLUTTER
- WIPE SURFACES CLEAN
- DUST CURTAINS & LIGHT FIXTURES
- WIPE DOWN WINDOWS & MIRRORS
- VACUUM OR SWEEP FLOORS
- REMAKE YOUR BED
- Relax and enjoy your freshly cleaned bedroom!